GIFFNOCK WAR MEMORIAL REFURBISHMENT PROJECT

 

 

WarMemorialsmll

SPONSORS: War Memorials Trust & East Renfrewshire Council

ADMINISTRATORS: Giffnock South Parish Church

 

The Giffnock War Memorial was erected in 1921, was paid for by public subscription at a cost of £1,000 and was unveiled with due ceremony by the then local M.P. Joseph Johnstone with servicemen and bandsmen from the Hamilton Military Depot in attendance. Last Post was sounded and a piper played the lament ‘Flowers of the Forest’. At the time, the land on which the Memorial was to be erected was in the ownership of what is now Giffnock South Parish Church, who donated the ground free of charge to the War Memorial Committee, all of whom have since passed away.

Today, the current members of Giffnock South Parish Church are keen to maintain their connection with this special, indeed, unique local monument and are engaged in acting as administrators for a project to refurbish the War Memorial. A contractor has been found to clean the monument and its memorial plaques at a cost of £11,900 and the War Memorials Trust have approved the works and have agreed to provide grant aid of £8,925 with East Renfrewshire Council also offering grant aid of £1487 leaving a gap in funding of £1,488. Since our grant application the hedge behind the war memorial has been removed and there will be an extra cost for cleaning the rear of the wall. We are therefore looking for donations to cover the shortfall of £2000. The restoration work will commence at the beginning of May 2017.

If you would like to contribute towards this refurbishment then please send your donations either by cheque, payable to Giffnock South Parish Church and sent to the Church at 2 Greenhill Avenue, Giffnock G46 6QX or by visiting our website www.giffnocksouth.co.uk

 

Contact Us

Open Mon - Thurs, 9:00am until 12:00 noon.

Telephone: 0141 638 2599

 
Copyright © 2016, Giffnock South Parish Church | Scottish Charity No: SC007807 | Design by Websites4Christians